Sep 21, 2008

For Cats Only, The Indoor/Outdoor Cat Debate - Or How to Live Longer than 9 Lives

I decided to write some articles for cats, since many blogs are available for dogs. This is not surprising, since the Pet Food Industry markets more for dogs than cats (owners typically spend much more money for leashes, toys, etc., PFI has forgotten about litter and litter boxes).



We will focus on the behavior of the Indoor cat and the Indoor/Outdoor debate regarding cats. I've been a kitty owner since 22, and have had kitties as a child (though my parents raised dogs for shows and stud services). I now currently own 3 cats, ranging in age from 4 to 14. Had I known all the health implications in cats that I do now (cats can live to be 20 years or older), no doubt I would have spent more knowledge on the care of my fur babies.

Since 1988 and beyond, my cats have been household only cats. It started when I adopted a cat from a friend (White Kitty - now passed on), and I lived in a complex that didn't allow pets (hence, the indoor cat). I then needed to get him a friend (Fluffer), because he was lonely when I was at work. Occasionally a cat has escaped, and my Fluffer escaped just prior to his demise (he knew it was coming, I guess).



Back to the topic at hand. If you want your cat(s) to live a long and healthy life, they must be kept indoors. If your cat is leash trained, that is fine too. But wondering alone and unsupervised (which I've seen WAY too much of in the Apt. Complex I live in) subjects your fur baby to the following dangers:
  • Becoming hit by a car
  • Ingesting a deadly poison like antifreeze or a pesticide
  • Becoming trapped by an unhappy neighbor
  • Being attacked by a roaming dog, cat or wild animal
  • Contracting a disease from another animal
  • Becoming lost and unable to find her way home
  • Being stolen (Think Bootlegged Animals here)
  • Encountering an adult or child with cruel intention


Pay special attention to the above. My cats have always been disease free, but Jimmy got a bit of a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection), when he escaped for two months (it still lingers, maybe asthma? More on this in another article). I've seen beautiful, loving cats turn fearful to human touch when their owners continually let them out for the day or night. I've had the Managers here ask if I allow my cats outside, because there are many complaints of the cats jumping up on cars, scratching the paint, and the expensive soft-top convertible. I've seen cats with big abscesses on their tails, only to get treatment a month or two later.

And, cats like to climb on roofs. Recently, we had our roofs cleaned, and anti-mold/fungus compound applied liberally. Just coming in contact and licking their fur poisoned the cats that climbed the roofs. This is heartbreaking - and I feel the need to vent a little.

There are OCCASIONAL exceptions. My sister owns a horse, and it's boarded in Enumclaw, on a 20-acre ranch. Now, I met the sweetest barn cat. In this case, there is nowhere the cat would go, except the property it is on. There are additional dangers though, such a coyotes. But this particular owner saved the cat from a shelter, on the condition that it would be a barn cat.



Important Additional Information

Some folks allow cats outside unsupervised because they have fence. This is no good, since the cat scales and climbs the fence. An outdoor enclosure for the cat can be made with chicken wire or such. Or, as in my case - a specifically chosen third floor apartment, with balcony, allows kitties outside time, and no danger (note, I don't leave the door open, nor the kitties outside unsupervised). Plus side of a balcony, fenced enclosure - kitty still gets to sun!

On average, with additional attention payed to care, cats that live indoors usually have a lifespan of 18 to 20 years. Outdoor cats (and around here, I see it all the time) - have a much shorter life span. Ferals probably live to 4 at the most. And think of all the money (and worry - due to the recent problems with formulations) you save by not using flea treatment, nor having to vaccinate for rabies, etc.

For that smelly litter box, the initial odor (you know what I'm talking about), goes away in a few minutes. You can aid this with some Baking Soda if you wish. I have 2 litter boxes, and after redesigning the establishment, will reenlist my third. Clean out at least every two days or once a day (my preference). This keeps the odors at bay, and you can't use the excuse that your cat needs to go potty outdoors (really they don't, they are clean animals).

If you have a hard time keeping kitty in (like I did with Jimmy - he was rescued as an abandoned youth at the complex), try some behavioral training. Make sure the doors are closed, and/or screens are all in place. At first, I kept him in separate room when just opening door for trash dump or whatever. Then, when he started going for the door (a little slower this time), I would say NO, and gently push him back. He now obeys, and I don't have a cat darting for the door. Remember - Patience is King here. If you have kids, get them into the CLOSE THE DOOR method.



So Answer Back.

Is your cat indoor or outdoor? And Why?






Firefox 3

Copyright © 2008 (FIH) FutureInsights All Rights Reserved

Please feel free to Talk Back!!

Jump to: Welcome to (FIH) - Home of the Stop the Debt Consumer - The Sister Site

No comments: